Saturday, August 24, 2019

Ongoing Build of the Landing Platform / Battery Box


August 24, 2019



Getting back on the boat, I picked up where I had left off a few days prior - working on building the companionway landing platform / battery box.  I started today by jointing a cleat to mount on the upper portion of the forward panel of the battery box.  
  


With the cleat jointed and ready for install, I laid it out on the forward panel and marked the cleat to pre-drill for #10 wood screw 1.25" long.



The cleat was quickly secured to the forward panel.



On the boat, I worked to align the cleat to be secured to the cabin sole and to help support the forward panel of the battery box.  This cleat will be installed on the inside of the battery box (i.e. hidden from sight).  I settled on the location, pre-drilled to then tap the fiberglass cabin sole for #10/24 fasteners.



With the cleat on the cabin sole secured, I moved the panel into position for a test fit.



I made sure all was level prior to moving forward with additional work.



The picture below shows the forward panel in place.



My next task was to install the side-mounted cleats, to support the side panels of the battery box.  My intent with the build is to provide a platform to step onto coming into the boat, as well as a compartment to house the battery, but to also make it easy to disassemble in case maintenance was required.  The battery box will also incorporate ample venting to support airflow.  I found the position for the aft side-mount cleat, using the side panel to ensure it was in line with the forward panel, and then marked to pre-drill.



I then tapped the holes for 1/4" fasteners, and secured the side cleats, forward and aft.



The picture below shows the forward panel and starboard side panel of the battery box.



I repeated the exercise on the port side, locating the side cleats, marking them for pre-drilling, and then tapping for fasteners.  With the side cleats mounted, I placed the side panel in position.



I had just enough time today to rough cut the top panel of the battery box, and placed it into position.



The sides of the top panel would be trimmed to align flush with the side panels, but the forward portion of the top panel would be left as a slight overhang.  In the coming session, I will work to complete the box, and then to continue on the interior supports for the battery itself.


Total Time Today: 3 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...