Sunday, July 14, 2019

Sanding & Fairing the Stern and Painting the Cockpit Lockers



July 14, 2019



I had errands to run in the middle part of the day, so getting back on the Allied 24 would come around 3:30 in the afternoon.  Nevertheless, the pace of work was brisk when I was free to begin the work.  I started on the stern of the boat - the work I did in yesterday's session on the interior of the lazarette and the stern, both areas related to the aft chainplate.

I removed the peel ply from the surface of the now permanently glued on "backing plate" for the aft chainplate, as well as the two small pieces of 1708 fiberglass I laid over two sets of 4 fastener holes on the stern's port side.  Despite applying the peel ply to eliminate the need for sanding prior to further work, I still had a few areas to water-wash and sand.  Also, there was a bit of fiberglass overhanging the backing plate - seen below.  This fiberglass is the single layer of 1708 I laid over the length of the backing plate.  I removed the overhang with an oscillating tool, and followed that up with sanding the areas requiring it with a 1" belt sander, as well as by hand.



The backing plate is ready for the new aft chainplate.



These two patches will eventually be painted over, and will blend in to the balance of the lazarette surface.



With the work finished in the lazarette, for now, I moved to the exterior of the boat.  When I started on the boat this afternoon my first order of business was to water-wash the previous work session's epoxy work - areas not covered with peel ply.  That being done, I was ready to begin sanding the fairing compound I placed onto the stern.  The picture below is post-sanding 



There was still a few pinholes and low spots that required a bit more fairing compound, but that would wait until the end of the work day.



What I did in the meantime was to address the long overdue painting of the cockpit lockers.  I again vacuumed the surfaces within the large space beneath the cockpit well: interior vertical surfaces of the cockpit well, the hull, as well as the lazarette bulkhead and the bulkhead placed athwartship in the middle of the cockpit well.  I then solvent-washed those surfaces multiple times to remove as much of the last 50+ years of whatever.



I mixed roughly 28 ounces of the gray TotalBoat TotalProtect, grabbed the painting tools I would need, and headed over to the boat.  I used a 4" small nap roller and a 3" brush for the tight spots.  In all, I put three coats of the epoxy-based paint on the interior surfaces of the cockpit lockers. 



The remaining portion of the interior of the boat requiring this touch epoxy-based locker/bilge paint is the lazarette and the areas in the cabin settee lockers where the new seacocks will be installed.



With the painting completed, I collected what was to be placed back in the shop and what was to be sent to the rubbish bin.  Back in the shop, I mixed a small pot of epoxy and thickened it with the 406 colloidal silica and 407 low-density fairing compound, as per usual, and headed back to the stern of the Allied 24.  I solvent-washed the area thoroughly, and then spread another skim coat on with a large plastic squeegee.  That would complete the work for the day.


Total Time Today: 2.75 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...