Saturday, June 15, 2019

Cockpit & Cabin Overhead Sanding




June 15, 2019


It was that kind of day!  Shoulders and fingertips comfortably numb...




I am eager to draw the sanding and faring to a close, and to begin applying paint to the interior...as well as the exterior!  So to that end, I began with a water-wash on the areas that I had recently applied fairing compound, and then toweled those areas dry.  I began the sanding round in the cockpit.  There was a scatter of areas that required sanding work, but I was most excited to get the outboard seat gutters done.  I applied West System's 410 microlight to these areas since they would not be under any routine weight or load stress and because the 410 is suggest an easy product to sand.  The gutters would require hand-sanding; the 410 microlight fairing compound was a welcomed application.

After I had completed the starboard side, I knew I needed to save the port side for another day - just way too much detail work for the current heat and day's work goals.  I moved around and sand 90% of the other areas requiring attention.  I will come back a complete the 10% balance when I tackle the port side seat gutter.



I moved inside the boat and began to sand the outboard edge of the cabin overhead - that intersection between the cabin sides and overhead.  I have been working to fill the small lengthwise void where the overhead bottom skin wraps over the edge of the core and back up to the top skin - just an unsightly design feature.



I worked the starboard and then the port side of the cabin overhead.



I then moved back to sand the fillet I had applied to the aft side of the integrated mast support beam.  I started on the port side, and then worked my way across.



I have plans to place another layer of 1708 biaxial on the integrated mast support beam, and wrap it up onto the forward side of the bulkheads and also up onto the aft side of the bulkheads - just in the doorway space.  The fillet would allow the cloth to lay down nicely.



I finished the day's work forward, in the v-berth.  I pulled the peel ply off the recently applied tabbing, and then water-washed a few areas that potentially did not get good peel ply adhesion.  I came back and lightly scuffed the entirety of the tabbing to prep for paint.


Total Time Today: 4 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...