Sunday, March 31, 2019

V-berth Platform Tops



March 31, 2019


I had a slight change of plans for the day's work.  I decided to not effect a final installation of the cabin settee tops, but rather to finish the starboard side and then move on to fabricating the tops for the V-berth.  So to that end, I got to work on the starboard cabin settee top.  Where I left off yesterday was that I completed the port side settee and then had cut of the starboard top, including the top-access hatch lid.  However, I had run out of time and did not install the cleats to support the hatch lid. In the shop, I prepared four cleats to support the hatch lid.  I ripped and planed the boards to the same width and height, took measures on the hatch opening and then cut them to the proper lengths.



I brought the cleats over to the settee top, pre-drilled, then glued and screwed them into position.



With the cleats installed, I replaced the hatch lid (showing a flush appearance).



I returned the starboard settee to the cabin, and would wait for the next full day of work to do the final install.  Next, I turned my attention to the V-berth.



I returned to the shop and ripped additional lengths of the 1/4" doorskin material for patterning. With the hot-glue gun, I followed the outboard curvature and the inboard contour of the existing fiberglass molded V-berth platform.  In order to be able to fit the new platform through the boat's companionway, I split the V-berth platform into two sections - the forward most seam will be filled and faired for a seamless presentation.   



I carried the port and starboard templates down to the workstation below the boat, and then laid them out onto the remaining 1/2" meranti material.



After transferring the patterns to the 1/2" meranti plywood, I then cut them out with a jigsaw.  I eased the edges to remove any splintering wood and to just improve the handling characteristics of the boards.



I brought both halves back up into the boat for a test fit.  The fit was good in a planar dimension, but did reveal a couple areas where the molded fiberglass platform suffered some unevenness - this would ultimately be covered, so I was not too concerned.  



I then cut out the forward hatch that spanned both pieces - as can be seen below; I will need to come back and cut out the top-access hatches to either side of the V-berth platform.  



Total Time Today: 5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...