Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Sanding Interior & Exterior Repairs



March 6, 2019



I grabbed a few hours in the evening to sand the recent repairs to the exterior, the port primary bulkhead fillet, and the cabin settees.  I began by water-washing all of the areas I intended to sand today.  This process removes the amine blush that forms on cured epoxy resin - that is on resin that a layer of peel ply is not placed on, and thereby preventing the amine blush from forming.  This waxy substance is a surface contaminate if not removed, and will interfere with subsequent lamination layers, fairing work or paint application.  With all surfaces free of this surface contaminate, I thoroughly dried them off and started sanding the port bulkhead fillet.  This fillet of thickened epoxy that I created at the intersection of the bulkhead and the hull/overhead/cabin sides will allow the fiberglass tabbing to lay down in a smooth radius, ensuring full contact of the fiberglass to the bulkhead and boat surfaces.  I sanded most of the surface of the fillet with a small DA random orbital, and hand-sanded the tight spots.



I covered the bulkhead fillets both forward and aft.



While I was in the boat, I sanded the settees, both port and starboard.



I removed any uneven surfaces, where paint was applied too thick and resulted in runs, as well as anything material loose and flaking.



I then moved up into the cockpit of the boat, and worked the recently filled holes - the larger/primary holes.  I also worked around some of the tighter spots by hand as well as with the smaller DA sander.



Next, I brought out the larger DA sander and hit the starboard side deck.  Here the repairs were larger spots of cracking and crazing gelcoat that I had completely sanded off down to bare glass.  I laid up a layer of 10oz fiberglass cloth and then faired the surface (filling the weave of the cloth and low spots) with thickened epoxy.



I worked these areas with 60-grit discs, changing discs as their effectiveness diminished. 



I moved from the forward part of the side deck to the aft of it, and finished on the aft portion of the starboard settee.


Total Time Today: 4 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...