Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Foredeck Repair (Part 4)


February 5, 2019


The foredeck repair is coming along in good form, yet requires further attention prior to beginning the fairing phase, preceding primer paint.  I removed the peel ply from last night's lamination work, and with a 40-grit flap wheel on the angle grinder, I cleaned up the unsightly edges and overlap seam that stood proud in a few areas.  I am happy with the results, but have plans to both further strengthen the deck and add to the aesthetics of the finished product.  After knocking down the areas I had to, I thoroughly vacuumed the surfaces and wiped them down with a solvent.




The first order of business today would be to tab the new bottom skin (in the foredeck area) to the underside of the original top skin/deck structure.  I went below and shimmied into the forepeak, and with a utility knife I worked the exposed balsa core so that there were no sharp edges that would prevent the 1708 biaxial fiberglass from laying down properly.  Next, I thoroughly vacuumed and wiped all surfaces with a solvent to prepare for fiberglass work.  Before heading back to the shop, I took a measurement of the length of tabbing I would install in this first session to complete the underside of the foredeck repair - I settled on tabbing 30" in length and 7" in width for each side of the repair. 



Back in the shop, I removed these two tabbing strips and set them to the side.  I also cut peel ply to size as well.  I mixed a small pot of epoxy with no thickening agents added to it - referred to as 'neat' epoxy - and applied that to the soon to be tabbed surfaces of the overhead.  With the overhead properly wet out with neat epoxy, I returned to the shop and mixed a batch of thickened epoxy.  I mixed in 406 colloidal silica and 407 low-density filler to a rather firm texture to ensure it would not sag through its vertical application.  With a squeegee to aide in the application, I worked the thickened epoxy mixture into the voids along the side of the newly installed balsa core.  I also created a fillet, or radius edge, along the transition from the bottom skin to the top skin to ensure that the 1708 tabbing would lay properly.



With the fillet in on both sides, I returned to the shop to wet out the two length of tabbing.  After removing excess resin, I rolled the tabbing length up individually, returned to the boat, and carefully unrolled them onto the overhead.  Working with wet fiberglass overhead in never fun...and I outfitted myself with a mask, hat, and safety glasses, but didn't allow even one drop to hit my face!



As each tabbing length went on, I followed it with the peel ply material and worked it in with a squeegee.



I repeated the process on the starboard side of the repair area.



I had noticed a bit of flex on the starboard side deck, and took the opportunity to reinforce it with a 12 to 14" long panel of the 1708 biaxial.  I treated the repair area in the same way as I had down the foredeck tabbing:  wet out with next epoxy, followed by a bit of thickened epoxy to fill the existing weave and a few voids, applied the wet fiberglass and peel ply to eliminate the need to water-wash and sand after it cures.



I had finished on the interior for the day, and prior to knocking off I wanted to get another layer of 1708 biaxial on the foredeck.  As per usual, I applied a sheet of plastic to create a template to be used to remove the new layer of 1708.



Back in the shop, I laid the template onto the fiberglass and traced around the edges with a Sharpie.



I then removed the templated fiberglass panel, and labeled it so as to ensure no confusion when applying it to the repair area.



I wet out the work area and applied thickened epoxy to fill a couple areas that required it so that no voids would result.  



With the foredeck prepped for another layer of glass, I made my way back to the shop to wet out the panel to be installed.  I applied the epoxy resin, and then removed any excess.  I rolled up the panel and walked it over to the boat.



The layer of 1708 biaxial cooperated nicely with me as I unrolled it over the area to be laminated, and then worked out any trapped air bubbles.



Finally, I applied a sheet of peel ply to the repair so as to be ready to go with fairing compound in the next work session.



Total Time Today: 4 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...