Saturday, February 16, 2019

Cockpit Seating Repair: Old Icebox (Part 3) & Bulkhead Core


February  16, 2019



The goal over the long weekend is to complete the major core work (icebox, cabin aft bulkhead core, and coachroof), and then to get into templating the primary bulkheads and forepeak collision / anchor locker bulkhead.  I tackled the work in phases by first prepping the work areas, and then executing the work required.

I started by water-washing the core installation on the cabin's aft bulkhead, drying the surfaces and cleaning the surface with a solvent wipe down.  



While I was prepping the surface for fiberglass and epoxy resin work, I went ahead and used the narrow belt sander to due some last minute surface prep.  These areas were in the transitional between the aft bulkhead in the cabin and the underside of the side deck extending aft.  I thoroughly vacuumed the surfaces and wiped them down with solvent.



With the bulkheads prepped for additional work, I moved onto the old icebox repair.  I sanded and generally prepped for installation of the top skin.  



The next area to be prepped was the coachroof itself.  I sanded the remaining low areas: the integral mast support beam to either side of the mast step support structure.  I went around the tapered perimeter once again with the belt sander to ensure I had an adequate taper to lay glass onto and tie into the existing surfaces.  I cleaned things up, per usual vacuuming and solvent wipe down, and then measured for new core and fiberglass to be placed in the integral mast support beam.



Back in the shop, I cut out the new core to be installed, as well as small patches of 1708 biaxial to be placed in a couple areas - 4 layer thick.  I then wet out the underside of the core as well as the small biaxial patches, and with the remaining epoxy resin, I wet the surfaces within the integral mast support beam.  




I returned to the shop to mix a batch of thickened epoxy - thickened with 406 colloidal silica and 407 low-density.  I troweled a bit on the surface and then placed the core material in position, firmly pressing the core into the thickened epoxy.  Next, I placed the biaxial patches into position, layering them (4-deep), and then finishing with thickened epoxy to bring the surface fair with the surrounding already installed new core.  I finished the installation with a layer of peel ply to avoid having to water-wash and sand for additional lamination work.



The coachroof was finished for the day, so I moved on to the old icebox repair.  I made my way back to the shop to wet out the first layer of 1708 biaxial.  With the first layer ready to install, I then mixed a small batch of thickened epoxy, and used a squeegee to press it into any voids or low spots to prep for the fiberglass.  Now that the surface was prepped, I laid the first layer of glass - actually two separate pieces made up the first layer. 



I then wet out the second layer of fiberglass and laid it into position.  With a fin roller, I worked out all of the trapped air bubbles, and finished it off with a sheet of peel ply.



The old icebox was finished for the day, so I moved on to the cabin aft bulkhead.  I wet out the starboard side with "neat" epoxy.  I returned to the shop to wet out the starboard side's panel of 1708 biaxial.  With that done, I mixed a small pot of thickened epoxy, returned to the boat and applied the thickened mixture to ease the transitions in order to allow the wet fiberglass to lay out smoothly.  Next, I applied the biaxial fiberglass, smoothed it out and released the trapped air bubbles, and ensured good uniformed adhesion.  I finished it with a layer of peel ply.



I repeated the process for the port side, to include a layer of peel ply.  The only remaining significant top fiberglass work to be done is the coachroof, and this should be completed in the next work session.  From there, the numerous small holes and voids are to be filled, bringing things closer to fairing work and primer!



Total Time Today: 5.25 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...