Sunday, December 30, 2018

Fairing (Sanding) the Cabin Overhead (Part 2)



December 30, 2018



I spent a few hours this Sunday afternoon getting the mast support beam nearer to reconstruction, as well as the continuation of interior surface prep for eventual paint application.  I began by water-washing the previous work (the interior filleting to smooth vertical and horizontal transitions, filling voids in the laminate, and the 6oz cloth I wrapped the mast support beam with to prep for more substantial repairs), this process was to remove the amine blush (wax) that formed on the surface of the epoxy as it cured.  Not removing this wax from the surface could contaminate it and impede further work.  I had applied peel ply to the center of the mast support beam, the location of the future mast step, and so I did not need to remove amine blush from this area. 



I dried the surfaces well, and proceeded to sand the areas requiring it with 80-grit paper, with the random orbital sander and by hand where I had to.  The mast support beam was essentially ready for construction, or reconstruction.  I will be glassing in two internal support/stiffener beams, either side of the mast support, and then tying the entire beam together with fiberglass both up on deck and down below.  The primary bulkheads will be fitted to the hull sides as well as the overhead (beneath) the mast support beam), and tabbed to the overhead and hull to help distribute the weight of the mast.



I cleaned up the work area up on the coach roof by vacuuming, and then turned my attention to down below.



A few weeks ago, I applied thickened epoxy to areas of the cabin overhead requiring it, from the mast support beam up to the foredeck repair area.  Now, having water-washed the surfaces, I could begin to sand and fair out those areas.  I removed the temporary brace in order to sand the center portion of the mast support beam, and then replaced it.



I worked my way outboard to port first,



and then to starboard.  I worked the areas with the random orbital sander, the oscillating tool in the tightest of areas, and also by hand.



The interior repair of the mast support beam will include laminating a width of 1708 biaxial cloth the entire width of the beam, prior to setting the new 3/4" primary bulkheads in place.



As mentioned previously, the primary bulkheads will be tabbed to the overhead and hull sides to further distribute the mast load.



I then worked my way forward, port and starboard, sanding the areas that I had applied the thickened epoxy.  This surface prep will serve to promote a cleaner finish paint appearance.



Total Time Today: 3.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...