Friday, July 5, 2019

Continued Fairing Work: Cockpit Well, Coachroof and Foredeck


July 4, 2019



With some errands to run in the afternoon, and it being the holiday, I got to work in the morning with just a bit of available work time.  In thinking of the next day, I wanted to get another skim coat of fairing compound on the coachroof and foredeck (likely their final), as well as a first application for the aft of the cockpit well where I installed new core and top skin.

The surfaces were all prepped, in terms of sanding, from a previous work session, so all there was to do was wipe them down with a solvent to clean any remaining surface litter.  I mixed the usual 406 colloidal silica and 407 low-density filler combination for the fairing compound, and applied it with a 6" knife, beginning on the coachroof.



Next, I worked my way forward and applied another small batch of thickened epoxy to the foredeck.  



Finally, I returned to the shop to mix yet another batch of thickened epoxy to begin to fair out the repair to the cockpit floor.  The next working session will reveal what additional fairing needs to be done in this location. 



One lingering item to do in the cockpit locker area preventing me from applying the barrier coat paint was tabbing on the port side.  A transverse cockpit bulkhead, made to support the cockpit well itself and also close off the forward interior of the boat to the cockpit locker storage area, was not tabbed to the vertical surface of the port seat (interior).  I took a measurement for the length of tabbing required, returned to the shop and cut a 4" wide and a 6" wide length of tabbing, 13" in length.  I then wet out the tabbing with resin, as well as the surfaces in the boat to which they would be applied, and then set them in place.  I did not use peel ply on this tabbing installation, so will need to water-wash and sand prior to painting this space.


Total Time Today: 1.5 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...