Sunday, June 23, 2019

Aft Cockpit Support bulkhead, and Miscellaneous Items


June 23, 2019


It would be a shorter work session today, so I got to work on the recent core work on the cockpit floor.  Much to my disappointment, when I stepped onto the recent recore work, I heard the faint "creaking" and "popping" telegraphing an unsupported cockpit well.  Despite the needed repair of the delaminated cockpit floor (bottom skin-to-balsa core), the root cause of the sounds I am hearing is the cockpit well itself flexing.  It is very likely the nature of the design of the cockpit well itself - a rather large access hatch aft of the rudder post may ultimately leave less support than is needed.  

So to correct the issue, I decided to install a supportive bulkhead at the aft end of the cockpit well.  I needed to ensure good access to the rudder post: on the aft end of the cockpit well, and to starboard and port (through the cockpit lockers).




After numerous trips up and down the ladder, to and from the shop, I eventually dialed in the dimensions and form of the supportive bulkhead.  I will eventually fillet the bulkhead and tab it in with multiple layers of 1708 biaxial cloth.



I returned the bulkhead to the shop and painted it out with epoxy resin.  



Back on the boat, I trimmed the overage of new balsa core and single layer of 1708 biaxial installed on the companionway laminate.  I removed the peel ply and trimmed the material with the oscillating tool.  In the next work session, I will apply a coat of fairing compound to blend with the bulkhead surfaces to port and starboard.



A view from above shows a consistent width on the bulkhead, allowing for a more secure companionway trim installation as well as a more sturdy bulkhead.


Total Time Today: 3 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...