Sunday, February 3, 2019

Foredeck Repair (Part 2)


February 3, 2019



It was time to get back to the foredeck repair, and what better day than Super Bowl Sunday!  I began by removing the peel ply fabric from the surface of the initial layer of 1708 biaxial cloth that I laid up for the new bottom skin.  I also removed the support board and braces from below, cleaned up the edges with my Makita sander, and generally prepped for additional fiberglass work.  The application of the peel ply fabric eliminated the need to water-wash the epoxy work as well as sand to create a good mechanical bond surface for subsequent epoxy work.  



I then applied a sheet of plastic in order to template both a second layer of 1708 biaxial cloth as well as new balsa core material.  With the template created, I then moved to cut out the second layer of 1708 back in the shop.  With the second layer of 1708 biaxial ready, I mixed a pot of resin (West System) and applied it to the top surface of the new bottom skin; I also mixed some thickened epoxy and applied it to voids in the aft portion of the work area - the area of existing exposed corona the foredeck.  I also applied thickened epoxy over the new bottom skin with a squeegee - this application was meant to fill any irregularities in the surface of the cured bottom skin.  With the first layer of the bottom skin prepped, I retreated to the shop to wet out the second layer of 1708 biaxial that would form the bottom skin.  I then carried the second layer of 1708 cloth to the boat and laid it out over the first bottom skin layer (no picture available).



With the second layer of 1708 biaxial forming the new bottom skin, I again went back to the shop to cut out the new balsa core material for the foredeck repair.  Due to the size of the new balsa core sheets and the size of the repair, I needed to cut out the new core in two pieces.  I bifurcated the template down the middle, and applied both templates to fresh core material.



I mixed a couple batches of thickened epoxy for the new core material to bed within - staring first with the port side.  I applied the thickened epoxy to the recently applied second layer of 1708 biaxial and used a squeegee to spread it out evenly.  With a trowel, I further spread out the thickened epoxy in a format often used in tiling.  I then applied the port side core material, and applied pressure to the core material to ensure it was firmly bedded in place.  I repeated the exercise for the starboard side's application of new balsa core.



With the new core material in place, I finished the installation by working thickened epoxy into any voids around the perimeter and generally across the top surface of the core material.  Finally, I applied a sheet of peel ply release fabric to the surface of the new core material which enable me to move straight to top skin application (eliminating the need to water-wash and sand prior to additional laminating work).



Prior to applying the second layer of 1708 biaxial, forming the bottom skin, and the new core material, I repositioned the form board from below.  I applied new braces with the aide of the hot glue gun - a tool no boat builder should be without!  Top skin work is next!



Total Time Today: 4.5 hrs





No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...