Saturday, November 3, 2018

Sanding the Lazarette


November 3, 2018


Having family up for the weekend brought me to a later start time in the day than I had originally planned.  The weather has turned here in the hot southeast United States, and when you have days like this and projects like this, you need to take the time to done the anti-itch fiberglass-preventative clothing and get in there!  Alas, I had a fraction of the time I intended, so I carved out a smaller goal for the day: the lazarette. 



Using a 4" angle grinder and a couple flap-disc wheels, I managed to take the surface down to bare fiberglass.  



If my ultimate goal was to simply repaint the surfaces in the lazarette, then I would have rough-sanded the surface and called it "good".  However, since I had removed shelving and the outboard bracket, and also needed to re-tab the bulkhead, I had to take the surface down to bare glass.



In addition to the work listed above, I also need to fill in the outboard's lower unit and prop well.  The new owner of this Allied 24 Greenwich is opting for a Torqueedo electric motor that has an alternate installation.  The opening in the boat's lazarette will be glassed in, with support added to aid in the installation of the electric motor.



I managed to have time to radius the deck surrounding the installation area of the new core and topskin for the aft port cleat.  I grinded a few additional areas that required repair: raised lip for lazarette hatch, and a few spots along the aft cockpit transverse. 


Total Time Today: 3 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

July 29, 2020 The day had arrived!  Time to apply the name of the vessel...S/V Sea Hagg, hailing out of Key Largo (there's on...